Monday 29 February 2016

Fuerza Bruta Buenos Aires: Que espectáculo



Loud, energetic and fun 
 
I went to see Fuerza Bruta over the weekend with my husband and we both came out thinking impresionante! If you’re in Buenos Aires, go and see it…

I had seen an advert for Fuerza Bruta when I lived in London, but quickly dismissed it thinking it sounded like a poor man’s version of Cirque duSoleil. Fast forward a couple of years … one of my friends in BA asked if I had seen Fuerza Bruta and recommended that I really should go if I hadn’t already. 
Peeping through! Amazing lighting
Given that we now live in the city where it originated, plus hearing very positive reviews, I thought it would be a shame not to give it a go. Even though I still haven’t see Cirque du Soleil-style, I was still expecting glam costumes, glitter, mind-blowing acrobatics etc. 

Instead, Fuerza Bruta is intimate, edgy and contains lots of bronca, a word commonly used in Argentina when someone’s pissed off, angry or frustrated (I've started using it too but that's another story).

A health warning - this may not be your thing if you don’t like strobe lights, getting wet, having bits of paper blown on to you, or standing up. Otherwise, it really is a spectacle from start to finish. You just can't help joining in on the act.

Surreal... gliding through the water
For me the highlights were: 
  • Water scenes in a suspending “pool” that looked like the beginning of a James Bond film 
  • Fairy-like acrobats bouncing off shimmery canvas walls
  • Dancers descending from the holes of a circus tent
The show lasts for just over an hour, which is a perfect length as it packs in a lot but without feeling repetitive. It ends in a shower (literally water pouring from the top) so you will get soaked if you stand in the middle.

Ok, so this was not Cirque du Soleil; but all the better for it. Fuerza Bruta has made a name for itself in its own right, producing an ensemble of brutal strength that really captures the imagination. 

More information:

Price: AR$240 plus booking fee - equivalent of ~£13 which is great value

To find out more, visit http://fuerzabruta.com.ar/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment