Monday 2 March 2015

On the edge: An adventure begins

Bienvenidos!

Exactly this time a month ago, I and my husband Alistair landed in Buenos Aires with four suitcases and a bike. We have just moved from London as Alistair had got a job as Head of Science at St George's College, a beautiful international school in Quilmes, south of BA. I quit my job in PR and am excited about my new role as a professional BA explorer.

AR$20 peso note - I thought the picture was fitting  
The name of the blog was inspired by Alistair. One evening we were sitting out on the balcony of our seventh floor flat listening to the wind howling across the city. "Doesn't it feel like we're on the edge of a continent..." he said

BA's geographical position is fascinating. From the skies, the city looks as if it is spilling into the sea (actually the River Plate, not to be confused with the football team), and enveloped by it on all sides. On its right, is the vast River Plate as far as the eye can see. To the north, south and west BA is surrounded by a sea of pancake flat, empty grassland, stretching well beyond the horizon. When a storm brews, there is no shelter from the wind in BA, hence the feeling that we're on the edge of a continent.

For me, the Edge symbolises more than a geographical or literal location. At any given moment, Argentina's economy and politics seem to be on the verge of collapse yet they continue to stubbornly chug along. 

The Edge also represents where I am – on the edge of a new culture, living on the edge of a city, unsure where everything fits in. Conversely, I'm extremely lucky and grateful that I can choose where I want to go and what adventures I want to experience, from the remarkable to the bizarre to the downright ordinary.

More to follow, please stay tuned. Chao.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sita. Love you are writing a blog. I have meant to try that for ever. Need to get to it now, third and last year in NZ. Enjoy exploring. Funny you feel n the edge...we def live beyond and off the scale edge wise! Bottom of the earth! We will def visit. Yanni and I deserve a trip away solo, and perverse we have never travelled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zoe! I remember your newsletter and was inspired :) Wow third year already...that's gone by so quickly. And then back to England? Haha I guess we both do! Please do come and visit us, always welcome :)

      Delete
  2. There together, must happen! Enjoy your exploring...rather like Dora haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) Look forward to reading your blog (the pressure!) and hearing about your adventures!

      Delete